About 17% of couples in industrialised countries seek medical advice for difficulty conceiving and different aspects of impaired fertility. More and more patients are interested in other therapies to maximise their chances of healthy pregnancy and live birth of their baby. Acupuncture is part of Chinese medicine that has been present for more than 2,000 years, and is now increasingly recognised as one of the major medicine models in support of the conventional reproductive medicine.
Studies conducted confirmed its efficacy – acupuncture stimulates the nervous system and influences the production of hormones and neurotransmitters. As a result, body’s self regulating homeostatic systems stimulate natural healing promoting physical and emotional health.
- Acupuncture improves your immune system, constitutional health and well-being.
- Acupuncture helps regulate fertility hormone levels including FSH and LH, and improve the function of hypothalamic pituitary-ovarian axis that goes out of balance under continuous stress.
- Acupuncture helps to reduce symptoms arising from medication treatment, such as headaches, sensation of heat that disturbs sleep, nausea, tiredness. It regulates cortisol and prolactin levels during the IVF medication intake.
- Acupuncture during IVF has a major impact on the quality of the endometrium and greatly improves pelvic blood flow, thus making it more receptive to the embryo and promoting implantation.
- Acupuncture reduces pain and discomfort, especially following the egg retrieval procedure.
- Acupuncture reduces the chance of miscarriage by regulating the hormonal balance, and by promoting production of healthy eggs and healthy sperm, as well as optimising the endometrial lining for the reception of the embryo.
- Acupuncture supports your emotions and prevents anxiety, a major contributor to stress symptoms that can lead to low appetite, bowel movement disturbances and poor sleep patterns.
- Acupuncture helps improve the oocyte quality, essential to increase the chances of successful fertilisation.
- Acupuncture is a treatment of choice to support healthy sperm of your partner, as studies have shown that it improves sperm quality and promotes sperm mobility and motility. It enhances the local circulation by improving the local blood flow, lowering scrotal temperature and helps increase the testosterone levels.
- Acupuncture treatments have an overall benefit to your health and have a cumulative effect, so the benefits you receive during your course of treatments remain with you for the next couple of months even when your treatments are completed.